Protect Your Identity While Holiday Shopping Online
The holiday season is one of the busiest online shopping times of the year. It’s also one of the most dangerous to your financial safety because online criminals are in full force during the holidays. Even so, you can stay safe and enjoy your online holiday shopping by taking some easy of these easy precautions:
1. Watch your Smartphone carefully. It’s easy for someone to steal your identity online by using your logged-in credentials on a Smartphone. You may want to set up and download apps that lock your phone if it’s lost or stolen.
2. Verify every website you use to do your online shopping. Be careful before you click on any links in your email. These may be scams created to harvest your personal data. Ensure the websites you use are secure and have security certificates that are up to date.
3. Pay attention to your accounts. Identity thieves have learned that they can make smaller transactions online, and you may not notice them. These small transactions also verify active accounts. If these small transactions go unnoticed, they go on to steal even more.
4. Avoid using your debit card. It’s safer to use a credit card for shopping online. Credit cards have stronger safety and consumer protection measures than debit cards.
6. Print your online receipts or save them. Saving all your receipts enables you to keep track of your purchases. You can compare these receipts to any charges you don’t recognize on your accounts.
7. Be careful on social media. Your social media friends may share amazing deals during the holiday shopping season. It’s smart to check these deals out ahead of time with your friends to ensure they are really deals that they recommended to you.
You can shop online safely and protect your identity at the same time. Stay safe as you browse for gifts and enjoy the holiday season.
For more help with fear and anxiety, consider taking my free online workshop.